Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Interview

How to conduct a correct interview?

I have passed many of them in both roles.

My opinion when I conduct such interviews is get to know whether a candidate is a problem-solving type.

What does it mean?

Does it mean that he will be able to know all technologies with all low-level details?..

I doubt.

Very often I interview candidates who are quite good at low-level details but have the lack of architectural skills and can't really provide a solution to my test task.

Do you need a developer who has low-level knowledge and don't have a glue how to solve problems?

Possibly, no.

I won't insist. May be there are situations when it does not matter whether a developer problem-solving type or not -- all what he is supposed to do is to serve as a codemonkey all day long.

But I am stick the following opinion: I'd rather hire a problem-solving type developer with good learning skills than developer who has impressive knowledge in web services, ASP .Net, or whatever-technology but was not able to understand a task and provide a good solution to solve it (no low-level details required -- they can be easily picked up from Google).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Agree with you completely!
A week ago I was attending an training of Stratoplan about Conducting Interviews. There were many practical tasks on Interviewer approches and so many variants from attendees, that they even created a book based on this : http://www.stratoplan.ru/free/interview-tips/
Method you're speaking about called Stress-questions. You should descripbe situation and ask person an simple question: What you will be doing? And after he answers, you will add new details on how his variant will not be possible. This cycle should repeat to test how long the person can invent something new, and when he just will start keeping silent at the end, just ask - 'you have 10 sec to solve this problem' - see what he answers